Learn Languages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Learn Languages

Here u can learn as many languages u want xD

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lesson 1 - Pronunciation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
~TBL~
Italian Admin
Italian Admin

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Lesson 1 - Pronunciation Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 1 - Pronunciation   Lesson 1 - Pronunciation Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 1:24 am

Italian is a Romance language spoken by about 63 million people, primarily in Italy. In Switzerland, Italian is one of four official languages. It is also the official language of San Marino. It is also widely spoken in Vatican City, although Latin is the official language. Standard Italian, adopted by the state after the unification of Italy, is based on Tuscan and is somewhat intermediate between Italo-Dalmatian languages of the South and Northern Italian dialects of the North.

Unlike most other Romance languages, Italian has retained the contrast between short and long consonants which existed in Latin. As in most Romance languages, stress is distinctive. Of the Romance languages, Italian is considered to be one of the closest resembling Latin in terms of vocabulary, though Romanian most closely preserves the noun declension system of Classical Latin, and Spanish the verb conjugation system (see Old Latin), while Sardinian is the most conservative in terms of phonology.

It is affectionately called il parlar gentile (the gentle language) by its speakers.

--stolen from Wikipedia

I suppose, it's best to start with pronunciation.

VOWELS

a - as in English "far"; same/similar to the Romanian and Spanish 'a'

e - as in English "send".
The two sounds of e are expressed as CLOSED e (é), and OPEN e (è). Usually these accents are not written, unless there is confusion with another word (Perchè = why. Perché = because).

i - as in English "bee".

o - as in "dog."
There is also a closed (ó) and open (ò) o.

u - as in "flu" and "mood."

Others:

gli - more or less "LYEE," similar to 'll' in Spanish. However, in some words the g and l are pronounced as two separate letters.

ex.:
anglicismo (Anglicanism) - ahn-glee-CHEEZ-mo
coniglio (rabbit) - con-EE-lyo

gn - same as Spanish ñ; like in canyon

h is silent when occuring in the beginning as in the words "ho," "ha" and "hanno" ("I have," "it has" and "they have"), so they become "oh," "ah" and "anno."
Back to top Go down
Acapella

Acapella

Number of posts : 28

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1 - Pronunciation   Lesson 1 - Pronunciation Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 7:20 am

Thanks for the prononciation guide TBL Lesson 1 - Pronunciation 181897 . I didnt' know yu spoke Italian! Lesson 1 - Pronunciation 390685
Back to top Go down
MissBalan
Admin
Admin
MissBalan

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1 - Pronunciation   Lesson 1 - Pronunciation Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 am

Thx ItaSista Lesson 1 - Pronunciation 373816 (new name for u i hope u like it Lesson 1 - Pronunciation 515487 ) evevn me i couldn't write that O.o
Back to top Go down
https://learnlanguages.forumotion.com
~TBL~
Italian Admin
Italian Admin

Number of posts : 25

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1 - Pronunciation   Lesson 1 - Pronunciation Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 2:39 am

I hope it is clear Lesson 1 - Pronunciation 303732

Heehee I do like it ItaSis ^.^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 1 - Pronunciation   Lesson 1 - Pronunciation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lesson 1 - Pronunciation
Page 1 of 1